Creamy Summer Squash and Corn Soup
(Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped or pressed
- 1 small – medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash (about 2 pounds), roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely minced (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely minced (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely minced (1 teaspoon dried)
- 4 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup raw cashews or 1/8 cup raw cashew butter
- 4 cups baby spinach, chopped or broken into small pieces
- 2 cups corn, defrosted or fresh
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large soup or stock pot over high heat, add onion and garlic. Sauté on medium low
heat for 5 minutes. Add Jalapeno, squashes, 1 cup of corn, basil, thyme, oregano. Stir
for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the water to cover, stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and
simmer for 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Turn off the heat. In a food processor or blender (in batches if necessary), add the
soup and blend it, adding the cashews and spinach. Blend until it is the consistency
you like, taking care not to spill the hot soup on yourself.
- Add the corn and extra spinach if you like. Stir to combine. Add water if needed to
adjust consistency. Season with black pepper. Serve with a dollop of vegan plain
yogurt or your choice of yogurt or sour cream.
Recipe inspired by “One Green Planet”